10.13.2008

Gay-friendly High School in Chicago? Maybe.

So when I first read the headline saying that Chicago might open a "Gay-friendly" high school, I thought to myself:

"Great, now we are imposing separate-but-equal on ourselves."

BUT then I read the article.

An alarming amount of LGBT students were skipping classes, many of whom eventually dropped out, because they were being bullied (verbal and physical abuse) at school due to their sexual orientation.

***THE SCHOOLS WOULD BE FOR EVERYONE, NOT JUST LGBT STUDENTS***

Currently, most states do not offer civil rights protection against hate speech and hate crimes that are sexual orientation-based.

Until those protections are offered, I will not view this as separate but equal, but rather, protected and safe in order to get an education.

There is no "separate" to this hypothetical school, as anyone could attend.

What do you think? VOTE --->

My roommate Kevin shared this video with me: Like Michael Moore or not, this is worth a watch:




www.youreadygrandma.blogspot.com

No comments: